13th Febr (annually): WORLD RADIO DAY 2014
Posted by ElJay Arem (IMC OnAir) on February 13, 2014
13 February is World Radio Day — a day to celebrate radio as a medium; to improve international cooperation between broadcasters; and to encourage major networks and community radio alike to promote access to information, freedom of expression and gender equality over the airwaves.
As radio continues to evolve in the digital age, it remains the medium that reaches the widest audience worldwide. It is essential to furthering UNESCO’s commitment to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Through World Radio Day celebrations around the world, UNESCO will promote gender equality by:
- Sensitizing radio station owners, executives, journalists, and governments to develop gender-related policies and strategies for radio
- Eliminating stereotypes and promoting multidimensional portrayal in radio
- Building radio skills for youth radio production, with a focus on young women as producers, hosts, reporters
- Promoting Safety of women radio journalists
We invite all countries to celebrate World Radio Day by planning activities in partnership with regional, national and international broadcasters, non-governmental organizations, the media and the public.
On 13 February, let’s celebrate women in radio and those who support them!
- Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment in Radio (Aveseh Asough – Journalist)
- Radio and Gender Equality (Martin Hadlow – Secretary-General)
- Asian Media Information and Communication Centre (AMIC))
- Who Will Cast the First Vote for Equality? (Ammu Joseph – Journalist)
(Source: 02/2014 – Unesco)
Other related articles…
- Tune in for Radio Day today (nation.com.pk)
- RFE/RL Celebrates World Radio Day’s Efforts To Empower Women (rferl.org)
- World Radio Day: 5 Ways the radio is fighting poverty (one.org)
- World Radio Day 2014 (sarahtopa.wordpress.com)
- Radio Journalists to be considered for AGAHI Awards 2013 (pamirtimes.net)
- UN Secretary General Message on World Radio Day (sierraexpressmedia.com)
- Let The Information Flow On World Radio Day (mangosalute.com)
- Celebrating the airwaves (blogs.abc.net.au)