We like to remember the 82nd birthday of Hindustani singer Ghulam Mustafa Khan (3/3/1931)…
Posted by ElJay Arem (IMC OnAir) on March 3, 2013
Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan (born March 3, 1931 in Badayun, Uttar Pradesh) is an Indian classical musician in the Hindustani classical music tradition. He belongs to the Rampur-Sahaswan Gharana and he is the son of Waris Hussain Khan and grandson of Inayat Hussain Khan of Sahaswan Gharana. He has been associated with Hindi film industry and as teacher his has trained several noted playback and classical singers.
He was awarded the Padma Shri in 1991, followed by Padma Bhushan, the third highest civilian award of India in 2006. In 2003 he was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award highest Indian recognition given to practicing artists given by Sangeet Natak Akademi, India’s National Academy for Music, Dance and Drama.
He is married to Amina Begum who is grand daughter of Mushtaq Hussain Khan. They have 4 sons who are Murtaza Khan, Qadir Mustafa, Rabbani Khan, Hasan Khan. Murtaza Khan and Qadir Khan are well known classical vocalists and singers of Hindi Film Industry who have worked with the legendary music director A. R. Rahman Amit Trivedi and others. He is also the uncle and guru of classical vocalist Rashid Khan.
He currently lives in Mumbai, Maharashtra along with his family.
Some of his students are singers in the field of Indian playback singing: Asha Bhosle, Manna Dey, Geeta Dutt, Hariharan, Shaan, Sonu Nigam, Sagarika, Shilpa Rao, A. R. Rahman, Alisha Chinnoy, Ankita Dixit, Amitabh Narayan etc.
He has been involved as playback singer and music director of award winning feature films like :
- Bhuwan Shome
- Badnam Basti
- Umrao Jaan (1981)
- Chhand Pretticha (Marathi)
- Drut (Bengali)
- Aagman (Music Director also)
- Shreeman Aashiq
Awards and achievements
- Padma Shri(1991)
- Padma Bhushan (2006)
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (2003)
- He is among the few artists to perform at the conference held by Dr. Rajendra Prasad (Former President of India) in 1952.
- Named as Junior Tansen in 1969 by Haridas Sangeet Sabha, Mangalore.
- Ustad Haafiz Ali Khan award and Ustad Chand Khan award
- He performed at Baltimore University and was conferred an Honorary Citizenship of Baltimore City.
- Honorary Citizenship for outstanding contribution to the field of Indian Classical Music in 1986 (by Governor of Maryland)
- He performed at Golden Jubilee in the presence of the honorable Queen of United Kingdom
- He performed at Festival de Lille in the presence of Lady Diana in France
(Source: 03/2013 – Wikipedia.org)
Raga Puriya Kalyan…
Raga Puriya Dhanashri (in Drut Teental)…
Raga Gaud Sarang…