Gang raping, corruption… Indian artists have to become political now. The coming out of Anoushka Shankar about her own sexual abuse
Posted by ElJay Arem (IMC OnAir) on February 3, 2013
Dear fellows, dear music lovers, dear artists !
… in tendency during last 1-2 decades we have seen Indian art (classical dance, classical music (Hindustani, Carnatic) progressing as an entertainment form. But let us remember, that by its origin and real purpose Indian arts never had been pure entertainment. By its origin Indian arts had been always political, too… in the sense of educational formats to create consciousness within the listeners and audience.
Artists of Indian classical music had been mediators between the supreme, the universe, the art itself as energetic form or as creator itself (like Indian (classical) music was seen as primary energetic form as universal creator itself) and the listeners. To say it simple: listening to Indian music targets at to become a real human being (in a positive sense) to find the true self being.
In times of corruption (not only in India), in times of crucialities as we experience it these days with masses of cases of (gang) raping after the escalation in killing of a 23 young Indian woman in December 2012 its time to become political again, in the original sense…
This Sunday morning reached me the “coming out” of Sitar player Anoushka Shankar, daughter of Pandit Ravi Shankar, about her own sexual abuse – see following video. As I see it: Anoushka’s words are more than a protest or accusing a society. Indeed its a clear demanding: “Enough is Enough !“
India has to change as the world has to change we humans (in common and as whole) are destroying our planet misusing its resources. Where is the knowledge of centuries, wisdom of our ancestors and dignity of ourselves as ‘modern human’ in 21st century ?
Stand up, artists, teachers, directors, label owners, media producers in art, intellectuals, mothers & fathers and change this world into a better one… become politically ! – Especially I demand it from modern men to take action…. its not up alone to the women rights fighters as part of the women movement. Let us all re-union as humans following the original spirit of Indian arts… make this world a better place for every human soul !
- R.I.P. India’s Daughter – ZERO Acceptance of Rape ! – Justice & Safetyness for Women ! ((imcradiodotnet.wordpress.com)
- End Violence Against Women:”I Am Rising…”: Anoushka Shankar (oneislandtwonationsblogspotcom.typepad.com)
- Thursday, 20th Dec: Ravi Shankar (7/4/1920-12/11/2012) memorial draws large crowd (imcradiodotnet.wordpress.com)
- The Ravi Shankar Foundation and East Meets West Music Mourn the Death of Pandit Ravi Shankar, Sitar Virtuoso and Cultural Ambassador to the West (imcradiodotnet.wordpress.com)
- The Hindu (Hindu Net Desk): Pandit Ravi Shankar passes away… (imcradiodotnet.wordpress.com)
- Sitar legend Ravi Shankar, father of Norah Jones, dies at 92 (imcradiodotnet.wordpress.com)
“Enough is Enough” activities are not something new…
Mr Kinsella said: “Ben will never be forgotten, we hope his legacy will live on for a long time and make the governments and the politicians sit up and take notice that enough is enough.
Kinsella family in knife sentences plea by Independent Television News Limited (ITN)