Celebrating 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda, India
Posted by ElJay Arem (IMC OnAir) on January 12, 2013
Vivekananda (12 January 1863–4 July 1902), born Narendra Nath Datta, was a key figure in the introduction of Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga to the western world and bringing Hinduism to the status of a major world religion in the late 19th century. He is perhaps best known for his inspiring speech beginning with “Sisters and Brothers of America,” through which he introduced Hinduism at the Parliament of the World’s Religions in Chicago in 1893.He was the chief disciple of the 19th century saint Ramakrishna and the founder of the Ramakrishna Math and the Ramakrishna Mission.
January 12 marks the beginning of year-long celebration of 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda. The event will no doubt be celebrated by many organizations and millions of people all over India and in many other parts of the world.
His birthday is also observed as the National Youth Day and is celebrated with great enthusiasm.
Wake up India, Enlighten the World !
(Source: 1th Jan 2013 – India @ Google plus Group)
- Swami Vivekananda’s connection to Puducherry (thehindu.com)
- Happy Birthday to Swami Vivekananda- The Man who has reached immortality! (datadiary2012.wordpress.com)
- Vivekananda’s 150th birth anniversary fete begins (thehindu.com)
- Philip Goldberg: Celebrating Swami Vivekananda’s 150th (huffingtonpost.com)
- Swami Vivekananda’s 1893 Chicago speech (ibnlive.in.com)
- Was Vivekananda a turning point in modern history of India and world? (thehindu.com)
- Vivekananda was humanist‚ spiritualist: President (thehimalayantimes.com)
- Swami Vivekananda: Youth icon at 150 years (ktrmurali.wordpress.com)
- Lessons from the past – Swami Vivekananda (thekinshiplounge.wordpress.com)
- Vivekananda’s 150th birth anniv observed (thehimalayantimes.com)