Assam showcased its enthralling Bhortal dance, while the Punjab tableau adorned the larger than life figure of Sher-e-Punjab Maharaja Ranjit Singh atop the Lahore fort. (Rec.: Goa, Nagaland and Sikkim are other states who showcased their cultural heritage.)
Following the tableaus, 21 young brave hearts who won the national bravery awards drove through the Rajpath in gypsies to a huge applause following which 1,200 students enthralled the spectators with a spectacular performance of various dance forms.
Students between the age group of 12 years to 20 years from West Bengal, Orissa, Delhi and other states performed five cultural programmes during the parade.
A folk ritual from Tamil Nadu to please the goddess of health and rain, fisherman dance from Maharashtra and a ritual related to Odisha were among the highlights of youngsters’ performances.
Based on the ideals of meaningful education of Mahatma Gandhi, students of Kendriya Vidyalaya in Delhi’s R K Puram presented an item on mass literacy. Through their song and formation they invoked a world where every person is educated in letter and spirit, where everyone would touch the height of prosperity and enlightenment.
Students of Government Sarvodaya Vidyala in Hastsal brought the colourful ‘Kodiyancha Karavan’, a folk dance of Maharashtra fishermen while another group presented ‘Karagam’, a folk dance of Tamil Nadu which originated as a ritual dedicated to Mariamman, the goddess of health and rain.
Another performance was that of ‘Thakurani’ — a combination of ‘Animal Dance’, ‘Ranapa Dance’ and ‘Jodi’ — which is connected with the religious procession of Thakurani Jatra in Ganjam district of Odisha.
‘Gudum Baja’, a traditional tribal dance in Mandla and Shahdol Districts of Madhya Pradesh, was also showcased during the parade.
(Source: 01/26/2012 – Rediff News | In PHOTOS: India celebrates 63rd Republic Day)
- Republic Day Parade 2012 – A Curtain Raiser (ecopackindia.wordpress.com)
- Happy Republic Day (kritika27.wordpress.com)
- Google Celebrates 63rd Republic Day of India (techie-buzz.com)
- 63rd Republic Day Celebrations (rrajiv.wordpress.com)
- Republic Day Celebrations in India! (atinytoes.wordpress.com)
- 63 Facts of India on 63rd Republic Day ! ! (abhaybhardwaj74.wordpress.com)
- 63rd Republic Day of India 2012 (atinytoes.wordpress.com)
- World record attempt at National Anthem centenary celebrations (imcradiodotnet.wordpress.com)
- Republic Day Wishes (jnvtvmlibrary.wordpress.com)
- Acrostic Poems – Republic Day (jmadhanraj.wordpress.com)