August 11th-13th 2008, Monash University
Monday 11th -Tuesday 12th Aug: Room N108, Caulfield campus, 900 Dandenong Road, Caulfield East, Victoria 3145
Wednesday 13th Aug: Council Chambers, Berwick campus, Clyde Road, Berwick, Victoria 3806
Call for Papers ( deadline Wed 11th June 2008 )
- Within current understandings of globalization, it is difficult to think of any topic in the field of media and communications studies which does not consider the international and the intercultural as they function within digital media environments. Nevertheless, this diversity also raises interesting questions about what is central in the field.
- What are the most pressing questions facing media and communications scholars today, and how are they shaped by the discipline’s international, institutional contours?
- What does the desire to ‘de-westernize’ media & communications studies say about relations between the empirical and the theoretical; where we find examples of media cultures in action, and what ideas we use to make sense of them?
- Is disciplinarity still a workable idea?
- How do all of these questions work their way into studies that are not directly about any of them?
- Or are these even the right questions to ask?
We invite you to consider these questions.
250 word abstracts for individual papers or 300 word panel proposals should be sent to email@example.com by 11th June 2008. Please include a brief bibliographical note. Presenters will be given 20 minutes to speak to their presentations. We particularly encourage submissions from postgraduates and for postgraduate panels. The final day of the conference will be dedicated to postgraduate papers and held at the Monash University Berwick Campus. There will also be a special issue of the postgraduate journal Colloquy devoted to the conference.
Conference proceedings will be collected and published.
- Dr Andy Ruddock, Monash University
- Dr Brett Hutchins, Monash University
- Professor Myung-koo Kang, Seoul National University
- Professor Ringo Ma, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Professor Tian Zhihui, Communication University of China
The conference is being held jointly by the School of English, Communications and Performance Studies in the Faculty of Arts, Monash University and the Communications Department, Seoul National University. And in partnership with Hong Kong Baptist University and the Chinese Communications University.
Enquiries to:Dr Ron Gallagher
Contact / address datas: Dr. Andy Ruddock
Lecturer, Communications and Media Studies
School of English Communications & Performance Studies
Arts Faculty, Room 185
Tel +61 3 99047199
Fax +61 3 9904 7037